Here’s a new Splatter Camp video and some rambling about what I’m working on. Feel free to ask about anything I missed in the comments.
* sorry for any grammatical atrocities. I don’t have an editor (or proofread these)
I guess there’s not much to look at, just some creepy skin dolls walking around. Kind of looks like a fetish video with the dungeon. That’s actually the new character base mesh I’m going to use while building the game. Yeah, the mesh still needs some work but the important parts are the body proportions (notice how the arms of all the characters are too short in Babysitter Bloodbath?) and the under lying rig. I’m going to try to build the game linearly from beginning to end and animate the actions as I go. Once I have the rig animated, I can use the base mesh to build different characters. It’d be great to give everyone unique animations but that would probably take twice as long and drive me insane. Right now I have the walk and run cycle finish. The new rig is scaled to the same size in Blender as the character models in Babysitter Bloodbath, so when I need to copy the old animations over, I just line up the rigs and pose the new one to match the old one. Saves tons of time. The main advantage is that the new rig can bend and move in ways the old one can’t. I didn’t set up the IR right the first time which is one of the reasons I need to start fresh.
Right now I’m working on NPC initialization. I hacked something together for babysitter bloodbath that won’t scale for the new game since it has more areas and characters.
Because Splatter Camp is an open world split into multiple smaller levels (think the original Deus Ex) I have a system in place that tracks the npcs and keeps track of what level (or part of the world) they’re currently in, what they’re doing. On top of that, when you enter a level that an NPC is in, he or she needs to be loaded at a certain position, given a dialogue string (in case you talk to them), and they need to be assigned local instance number for any path finding (lets call it a row in the array for simplicity’s sake). The path finding array is wiped clean when switching levels.
Sanitarium Massacre used a system where I saved the handle of each NPC and the objects they’re carrying into an array. I threw that out for Babysitter Bloodbath since there were so few characters and levels I figured I’d just use pointers to keep track every character. But that’s a horrible idea of course. So I think what I’m working on now is a happy medium. The major job is gonna be keeping track of what each NPC is doing as the game progresses. I’ll see how that goes as I start building it. With Babysitter Bloodbath I used a long list of functions to make all the changes as you progress. That might get out of hand here, We’ll see.
Probably won’t be much to show in terms of artwork for a while but I’ll put up some videos if any weird errors happen.